Free will; Good & Evil; Nature & Nurture
Posted: June 14th, 2012
Pictured: Claire Brickell discusses the topic of free will in the context of psychodynamic psychotherapy.
Over the past two weeks, the Class of 2012 presented their work in the annual Senior Talks Symposium at McLean and MGH. Topics during week one covered a wide range and included a discussion of evil and psychopathy, group psychotherapy for patients with psychotic disorders, the neural correlates of emotional experiences in depression, and the epigenetics of schizophrenia. Week two featured a discussion of combined neuromodulation and neuroimaging, the psychodynamics of psychopharmacology, and the rise of "Bath Salts" as a new illicit drug. The full schedule is listed below.
Wednesday, June 6, 2012 McLean, de Marneffe, Room 132
- 1:00 – Jeff DeVido, M.D. – The Question of Evil
- 1:30 – Karen Adler, M.D. – From object to subject: The role of the patient's experience of the therapist's subjectivity as a catalyst for change
- 2:00 – Ellen House, M.D. – A Safe Arena: Group Psychotherapy and Psychosis
- 2:30 – Chris Tangren, M.D. – The Couch and the Anchor: The Use of Metaphors in Psychotherapy
- 3:30 – Brad Ruzicka, M.D. Ph.D. – Nature, Nurture, and Chromatin Structure
- 4:00 – Claire Brickell, M.D. – Psychotherapy and Free Will
- 4:30 – Sharmin Ghaznavi, M.D., Ph.D. – Neural Evidence for the Struggle To Feel Good in Major Depression
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 MGH, Haber Auditorium
- 1:00 – Brian Schulman, M.D. – The Psychodynamics of Psychopharmacology
- 1:30 – Amelia Dubovsky, M.D. – A Brief History of Graduate Medical Education: the Birth of Duty Hours
- 2:00 – Hannah Brown, M.D. –Bath Salts: The Rise of a New Drug
- 2:30 – Joan Camprodon, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D. – Simultaneous combination of TMS and fMRI: a window into mechanisms of neuropsychiatric disease and recovery
- 3:15 – Argo Caminis, M.D. – At the Couch-side: Teaching for Medical Students and Junior Residents in Inpatient Psychiatry
- 3:45 – Nicole Christian, M.D. – Traditional Mental Health Care in a Post-Conflict Society
- 4:15 – Kelly Irwin, M.D. – Is everyone having a baby? Or is it just me?